Monday, April 19, 2010

My Summer Look...2010




Summer is right around the corner, and I can't wait to spend my days at street festivals, nights in beer gardens and weekends on Lake Michigan. Those destinations were the inspiration for my overall look and the specific pieces. On the whole, I wanted to choose complimentary things to eliminate the need for extensive wardrobe changes. The color combination of blues, peachy pinks, creams and natural browns (especially in the leather) look fresh and summery (IMO) and tend to work best with my coloring ("bronde" or blondish brown, long hair, green eyes and medium complexion. I'm happy to say, literally everything here can be worn together, which (with 37 individual pieces) amounts to over 100 combinations of outfits.

Another thing I like about this look is that you can find similar items at much lower prices. Net-a-Porter is great, but for some of us (myself included) $2,000 for a sweater is just not possible. To be honest, my go to store for fun dresses, skirts, tops and accessories is Forever 21. It takes some patience to try everything on because the sizing is bogus, but the price tag is worth it. I also find super cute cable knit sweaters, natural leather skinny belts, and nautical bathing suits at Banana Republic/Gap-- all under $100. For shorts, I've always find that American Eagle has the most forgiving dimensions--a little wider in the thigh. To get vintage inspired dresses and tops, Anthropologie is a favorite of mine. Even still, I try to reserve my purchases for special pieces (like the zip front, plaid tank) or hold out until things go on sale.

When I need designer jeans, handbags and/or shoes, I generally turn to Nordstrom and Coach. I used to work at both, so I have an affinity towards them. If I have to get anything brand name (i.e. Longchamp, Sperry Top-Side, RayBan, Hobo), and I can, I'll get my stuff at one of these two stores. I always make sure to check Nordstrom Rack--their discount store--beforehand. It is incredible what you can find there, especially shoes wise, and pay half the price.

For denim, I'm a particular fan of Citizens of Humanity and Rich & Skinny. Michael Glasser, one of the masterminds behind the famous Seven jeans, created both of these lines and they are heaven on my body type. The longer inseam, shorter crotch, higher back (no more butt cleavage...yeah!) and pockets are the keys for me. I say, shop around until you find that "perfect" jean--the one that makes you feel like you can take on the world. Trust me they are out there! And, when you find them don't stray, be loyal and show your gratitude--there really isn't another article of clothing that can have the impact that a great pair of jeans can.

My philosophy on accessories is this: more layers & two-tones!lol Mixing up gold and silver can be difficult, but if you have a necklace or watch, etc. that showcases the two together--in an obvious way-- it is much easier to pull off. You can also achieve a similar affect by layering, which in any event, I am all for. Spend your money on the statement pieces, like a nice watch or a versatile necklace or pair of earrings. For the most part you can get away with skimping out on the others. I judge my jewelry purchases on a sliding scale based on the practicality of the item--how much use I'll get out of it.

Bottomline: you can re-create this look on any budget.

The Pieces

--6 Tops: 1 cable knit long sweater, 1 sweater tee, 1 denim button up, and 3 tank tops (1 strapless corset; 1 halter; 1 draped).
--6 Bottoms: 3 jeans (light wash, high waist wide leg; dark wash, low rise, boot cut; white, med rise, skinny), 2 shorts (brown pleated; 3" denim), and 1 mini skirt.
--3 Dresses: 1 cap sleeved variation of LBD (night), 1 floral & flowy (day), and 1 T-shirt dress (weekend).
--1 bathing suit
--5 Shoes: 3 flats (Sperry deck shoe; roll up ballet; gladiator sandal), 2 heels (cowboy boot; open toe platform sandal).
--3 Bags: 1 clutch(night), 1 large tote (weekend), and 1 med flap (day).
--13 Accessories: 1 natural skinny belt, 1 watch, 1 wide brimmed hat, 2 sunglasses (RayBan Aviators; Oversized), 1 scarf, 3 necklaces (varied lengths, two-one), 2 bracelets, 1 two-tone ring, 1 pair two-tone stud earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment