Monday, April 19, 2010

This One's for You Sookie...

For those of you who read the Southern Vampire Mysteries or watch True Blood, one thing is probably unanimous: Sookie Stackhouse needs some help in the fashion department. It is even more apparent in Charlaine Harris's series, as opposed to Alan Ball's HBO version. Still, they are both victims of poor styling.

With the tenth book coming out on May 4th and the 3rd season starting in June, I figured it was time to tackle this issue. At this point, any mention of silk T's, scrunchies, "slacks," lace up jeans or detachable sleeves makes me run for the hills.
Before it is too late, I decided to try and help our girl Sookie out. I've chosen one specific outfit from each of the books and reinvented them as best I could without completely losing the integrity of the scene.

Dead Until Dark

A different take on Sookie's outfit when she first meets Eric. Keeping my fingers crossed that True Blood will redeem Eric & Sookie.



Living Dead in Dallas

When she arrives in Dallas with Bill.



Club Dead

The infamous red dress!lol I couldn't allow Sookie to commit such heinous crimes of fashion. Granted she would never agree to spend the money for most of these items (i.e.the shoes) but I pretend she doesn't know.hehe What she doesn't know won't hurt her right? Plus, in the book she describes the dress and claims to have purchased the matching shoes and purse. All that with her red lips and nails was just TOO MUCH RED! So, I had to put some black and creme pieces into the mix. My goal was to create a more modern take on the existing outfit. It's still 80's at heart but I tried to incorporate some gothic elements--perfect for a night out with the undead.



Dead to the World

Because Sookie spent the majority of her time naked in this book, there weren't alot of scenes to work with. She mentions wearing a red shirt, jeans and blue coat to the "witch war" so that is about the closest.



Dead as a Doornail

Scene when she goes to Fangstatisa to ask Eric for help at Merlottes.



Definitely Dead

"It was chiffon, short-sleeved, and it had lots of colors in it: turquoise, copper, brown, ivory. The strappy sandals that I wore with it were brown." -- Sookie describing the Diane von Furstenburg dress she bought with Claudine for meeting the Queen. (pg. 196)

It's not chiffon but it was the closest I could find.



All Together Dead

Sure Sookie would never wear items this pricey but my hope is that Pam would insist Eric buy them to spare herself the humiliation of being present with Sookie.



From Dead to Worse

Based on her outfit she described when going to meet Niall for the first time: "a sky blue silk t-shirt that Amelia had said was too big for her and some black dress slacks with black heels." She wore it with minimalist gold jewelry-- I prefer white gold w/ sky blue.




Dead and Gone

Sookie really doesn't describe any particular outfit in this book that I can find, other than hospital gown. So, this is what I picture her wearing when she decides to go see Eric at Fangstasia--after the pledging.



At least it is a step in the right direction!

1 comment:

  1. T.Rece - love that you did this for Sookie! Set & character designers take note! From Dead to Worse is spot on! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete